Saturday, September 13, 2008

Should I or shouldn't I?

It has been just over an year since I joined this so called IT industry. I was placed during my 6Th semester of engineering. Even though this wasn't my first choice, I was content that it would serve as a back up. The truth is that the money is good. I had no idea how the work is going to be, I only heard from my many cousins and brothers how I will have to adapt myself to it. This was the picture I had back then: I am required to work smart and hard to get sufficient recognition which is very important, then and at all times take up every opportunity that comes my way; this will help a lot in appraisals. This presumption is very vague as I see it now. However, it explained everything back then and I dunno how!

A lot of things happened in this one year of being a "Software Engineer" for one of India's most reputed companies. It included my training, bench and a project. My dissatisfaction and boredom at work increased with time. I found that the job was not at all challenging. People stay back late not just because of the work load but because they failed to communicate properly in the first place. This communication I am talking about is not just about how efficiently they understand the requirements (which are always constantly changing throughout the project) but also a communication with themselves, rather an introspection (I am aware that this point is very fuzzy. That is because I do not wanna get into details). For several such similar reasons, which I will not be able to list here, I have decided to get back to pursuing what I always wanted, to join the Indian Army. 

I have prepared a routine to fit my work so that I can spend some time in preparing for the CDSE and the SSB interview. It was hard in the beginning but gradually I forced myself to the routine. I started waking up at 5 and reach office by 6 to work out a little. I start my work by 8. I told my manager that I will come regularly by 8 and finish the job given to me and take care of all the dependencies and leave by 6. He said, well, he just said OK. After talking to him, I felt may be I shouldn't have as I know the calls and meetings with onsite will stretch the day. However, I kept surprising myself. I finished my module 1 week before the dead line and also took up other work and also helped my team mates in their work. The one week went on without much work. And after one week from the dead line came the review from onsite. I looked into it at 8 in the morning but my manager took a look only at 5 in the evening as he comes only after 10 and has several other things to take care of. I never complained and in fact I empathize. The discussion stretched until 7 in the evening. He then told me to do the rework. At this point I could no longer hold it and told him that I will do it the next day. He said I have to deliver it today. I answered that I will anyhow will not be able to complete it by 11 by which time it will already be after noon onsite. He was clearly and unpleasantly surprised at me. He then took me into a conference room. The discussion that followed is the reason for this blog!

Before saying anything else, I have to say that my manager is a reasonable guy and not just another jerk. However, in the conference room, after I explained to him why I think it is not worth the effort for me to stay back and work, he gave out some facts of this IT industry to this newbie.

1. Delivering the job is everything. (I agree with this point as this is what I promised I will do as an employee and I did.)

2. The day of the employee starts when the manager arrives.

3. If the onsite coordinator has no problem in taking calls at 2 in the morning when he is in deep sleep or actually waiting for the call, why should we have a problem in calling from offshore? (That guy has to get back to work by 8 in the morning!)

4. The values and ethics displayed in the ads by the company are bullshit. This is how it works.

5. I am shown to the client as an expert in several technologies that I am not. That is one of the reasons why I should be working late.

6. Work - Life balance is very important (What an oxymoron!).

The dialogue was very informal and he never threatened me or was even a little bit harsh (I suppose he doesn't have to be that way. If not me, he will find another resource). If you have read this, you might be thinking that if I am aiming for the army, why am I cribbing about working late here which is, in terms of stress and risk, a lot easier or something like that which one of my friends asked. This is why: There is a purpose behind why I choose to do something. If I want to join the army, I am willing to put those hours there as the purpose, which I will not specify here, is served. In contrast, in the current job, my purpose or at least what I expect is that I will have enough time to spend with my family, my interests to maintain the so called work - life balance. If not me, this is what all my colleagues want and expected before joining here. They do not have that time now but they do not complain or do anything about it. The answer I get when I ask why is that it is the money the company is paying them. However, when I asked them if they like this job, well, some even said that they hate it!

All these thoughts are my opinions. It is my perception. I have not yet come to terms with it. I am sure there are people who enjoy this work culture apart for the money even though I haven't met any. However, with all these going on in my mind, I am asking myself, should I or shouldn't I quit this job right now.

No comments: