(If you haven't read "Escape to Goa" yet, please do before you proceed with this blog.)
I forgot to mention in my previous blog about something we discussed on the beach after dinner, in the presence of the sound of the waves. We actually thought, why not go to a pub the next night as we will be leaving the day after. The problem is that we do not have any gal friends. Well, something happened because of which we almost had company to go to the pub!
As planned earlier, we were ready to cover the North Goa on the third day. We woke up early and went for breakfast at the Blue Note Cafe where they served Anoop's favorite coffee. I ordered French Toasts. Then I had an idea (frankly, it was just an idea to tease Anoop!). I asked Anoop why not ask the waitress there out that evening! She was a pretty gal too. He hesitated in the beginning. I insisted. Then he got up walked up to her and started talking to her. I never knew but this guy is really good at talking to gals and I can see her smiling, then blushing for a while and then a strange look. Even though I thought she would agree in the beginning, that strange look meant something else. That look was because after impressing with his smooth talk, this idiot told her that since we are two of us, we can go to the pub if she can get a friend, that is for me! Dumbo... but he was concerned about me!
He gave her his number so that she can call in the evening if she is ready but that call never came. After the breakfast, we started straight to the Aguada Fort. The ride was cool and the fort had nothing much to offer. We were realizing that we are having the real fun on road and not at the destinations. When we reached there, there were only two of us but in a few minutes, a bus load of college gals arrived and the very quite fort till then was not quite any more. We soon started back in spite of so many gals there. The destination now is Tiracol Fort. This is the north most point of Goa. The Fort is on the other side of the Tiracol river on a small piece of land. And only that piece of land on that side of the river is Goa and the rest is Maharashtra. It was some 50 KMs away and we had a very good ride.
It is a strange feeling that I had after being on the road for four days. It wasn't very long but the feeling was strong. Some sense of freedom, adventure, and something else that I don't know. I knew this is what I want to do in life. What a feeble thing the wide screen, dual processor Windows Vista computer with 2GB RAM at my office desk seems to me now after riding the 200 CC bike for 500 KMs.
There were quite a few villages that we passed through on our way to Tiracol. But the one I clearly remember is Arambol. On the coast, plush with trees, peaceful and not many tourists. If I were to live in that place, I would swim in the sea every evening, jog on the beach every morning, fish in the river every weekend (and then put the fish back in the water!), lay down on the beach and watch the stars for they are clearly visible with few lights around there. What would I do for a living? May be teach at the local school. I have certainly seen children there and I would love to spend time with children.
As we neared the Tiracol river the road ran parallel to the river with several twists and turns. The sun is right on top but the entire road is shadowed by the trees. Finally we reached the ferry. This would be our first ferry. We imagined very grand about it. We were wondering how much do we have to pay for it. And also wishing that the "voyage" should be very long. But the truth is that it is free of cost and the "voyage" will not be very long as the destination is only about 300 meters on the other bank. As for the grandness we imagined, it reminded me about all the vehicles that would be clogged at a railway crossing back in Nellore.
The ferry is a free service run by the government for transporting the public across the river. The traffic is not heavy and the river is not too wide and so it will take about 5 minutes to cross it. I guess, ferry is cheaper than laying a bridge there! Even though not grand, I loved the ferry. Especially the location of the service: there is fishing going on one side and on the other, the river is joining the sea. Splendid view.
Once again, there was disappointment waiting for us. As we crossed the river and rode to the Tiracol Fort, we realized that it is not a fort anymore. It was transformed into some luxury hotel by the Heritage Group. There was renovation going on so we didn't need a reservation to take a look inside. There is a small chapel inside. The fort is not a big one; I guess it is quite small to be called a fort at all. But if you can afford to stay there, you would have a really great view. The fort is situated in such a way that you can see the river joining the sea and the beach all at the same place.
We did not waste anymore time there among the carpenters, painters and one pretty looking manager! We started back immediately and we were able to catch the ferry back, the same one that brought us to this side. These ferries are available every 30 minutes. That is very convenient I should say. We drove back the same way we came, only now it seemed to be not that long a road! Instead of going all the way to Calangute. We took a different route through Mapusa. We were planning to go to Bicholim and see what the Mayem Lake is.
A little before Mapusa, when we were riding through farms and green fields, we had a crash. Two roads were merging and a car from the adjacent road was taking a U turn right onto us. I was at the controls. The rear brake was no use and I had to use the front disk brake. Anoop did a very sensible thing by jumping off from the bike as it slowed down without making me lose my balance. However, the bike wasn't gonna stop that easily and just as I thought I was gonna hit the car I jumped too. Now the bike fell and stoped just inches before the car. All this time the people in the car were watching it like a movie. They were coming slow so, they were able to stop easily. Nobody was hurt but the bike took a little. The leg guard on the right is bent; apparently it was welded after its previous crash! And the front brake lever is broken into half. Now this is a matter of concern because we just discovered that the rear brake wasn't working at all. The bike was simply slowing down as we released the accelerator. With only half the brake lever to pull on, we had to be more cautious than we were. Especially since we decided to enter Mapusa to see if we can fix the bike. The traffic is like any urban one. We found a mechanic but couldn't find a spare lever anywhere. And also the leg guard had to be welded. We just decided not to waste any time there and go on with the journey and fix it if we find anyone on the way.
I experienced a moment of truth that day. I was a little shaken after the crash. Anoop took the controls. He rode to Mapusa and also upto Thevim where we stopped to eat something. We couldn't find a place to have lunch. We just settled for some tea and leftover breakfast near the Thevim railway station. With the shock from the crash all the excitement about the bike ride seemed to have been fading. The day started to feel hotter eventhough it has been hot all along. I started feeling very tired. I said to Anoop that we should just go to the beach and spend the day resting or something like that. He looked at me for a few seconds. He said we are here for the ride and we would be bored at the beach in no time. He insisted we should go on. He never said it but I know he can see me shaken by the crash. And whatever he said, he said it in such a way that I couldn't say no to him. This guy is a real buddy! And then I was thinking as he was busy munching. I had to tell myself that I should first admit that I was scared after the crash and I am looking for reasons to give up. And I said it. I wanted to come over it. And I suddenly said I will ride the bike from here. He just laughed, still munching! He never said anything but I would never forget that day. That was a real moment of truth. My hands were still shaking as I started the bike. But I rode it, all the way to Bicholim, Mayem Lake, Divar Island upto Old Goa! A day that I really lived.
As we started after the weird lunch we had, we found out that there is welding facility nearby. We went to him and he said he cant help. We asked him why not. He held the leg guard, shook it a little and seperated it from the bike. He put that piece in our hands and said that it needs arc welding and he got only gas welding. We didn't no what to say. We left the place with the iron piece in hand and after a while asked each other why would he had to break it off to explain that it needs arc welding! Pervert!
We reached Bicholim and searched for a welder. I don't remember but I think Anoop was at the controls in Bicholim. After many efforts no one is found. We continued to Mayem Lake. It was quite pleasant. But then it was just another place and the road didn't stop there. We found out that there is a small island on the Mandovi river called Divar Island, about 2 sq. KMs. On the other side of the island is Old Goa. That would be our route with a ferry to get us to Divar Island and then to Old Goa. The road from Mayem Lake was just awesome.
Passing through some small hills, the scenery was picture perfect.
After riding through the Divar Island and ferrying to the other side, we entered Old Goa through an arch constructed by the Portugese and still standing.
The entire city of Old Goa is a mirror to the culture and architecture left behind by the Portugese. Se Cathedral and La Bascillica are the "must and should" places to visit. This is also the place where we visited the places like the rest of the tourists. However, the sweat, stained clothes from the crash and the leg guard hanging from my backpack set us apart from them. At the end of the tour Anoop bought a cowboy hat that I put on on the way back to Calangute.
Finally, at Betim, we found a welding shop who served our purpose. But we couldn't find a brake lever anywhere. We decided to pay for it.
It was almost four in the evening and also we were tired by the time we started back to Calangute. Anoop was at the controls all the way back. And also there was no call from the gal at the Blue Note Cafe. Never mind, we headed to a pub that had stag entry. This is a first and I didn't like it very much except that they play almost good music. Anoop did full justice to the tickets we purchased by eating and drinking all that he can for the money we paid. However, we did not booze. We left only after about 30 minutes. We just took a stroll on the beach.
We were tired and also we cannot forget that we are going to leave the next day. The bike ride is over! We sat in the beach and we didn't speak much. We have learnt a new language. It has a road, a bike and the elements. No words, no music. The wind on our faces when we do 80+ on the highway, the sharp turns on the ghat that reveal a new beauty after every bend, and when the road runs parallel to a river it feels like you are racing the water, and when the road runs straight and the bike steady you feel like you are flying, and the freedom you realize when you are not bound by destinations but have all the road you can, and then you know you are living!
My bus was at four in the evening and Anoop's at about seven. We just decided to spend the day at the Baga beach. However, we had to check out by 9:30 in the morning. And when we returned the bike, the guy didn't ask about the lever and we didn't mention it. Lucky us. So we put our bags at the reception and rented a Honda Deo and headed to the Baga beach. We swam and played and swam and played. Not much fun. Not after a 500 KM bike ride. So we wanted to try other things available in the beach. We went parasailing and speedboating. On these we spent more than what we spent on the three days we were there.
And also we didn't have much fun either. Nothing tastes better once you taste the road, or atleast not until you did something more adventurous. We left the beach after having lunch there. We went to collect the bags and just changed clothes in the backyard as we did not have a room anymore. We took a taxi to Mapusa where I have to catch my bus. From there, Anoop took a bus to Panjim from where his bus starts. I waited there for the bus that would take me back to my cubicle, the little place with a monitor where the only window I can have is on the screen. I hated the moment but remembered all the ride and thought I would certainly come back for another ride...
... and I did. This time Rajeev and Muttu were also with us. And apart from the bike ride, we also did something that was more adventurous. I will conclude this in the next blog.
I forgot to mention in my previous blog about something we discussed on the beach after dinner, in the presence of the sound of the waves. We actually thought, why not go to a pub the next night as we will be leaving the day after. The problem is that we do not have any gal friends. Well, something happened because of which we almost had company to go to the pub!
As planned earlier, we were ready to cover the North Goa on the third day. We woke up early and went for breakfast at the Blue Note Cafe where they served Anoop's favorite coffee. I ordered French Toasts. Then I had an idea (frankly, it was just an idea to tease Anoop!). I asked Anoop why not ask the waitress there out that evening! She was a pretty gal too. He hesitated in the beginning. I insisted. Then he got up walked up to her and started talking to her. I never knew but this guy is really good at talking to gals and I can see her smiling, then blushing for a while and then a strange look. Even though I thought she would agree in the beginning, that strange look meant something else. That look was because after impressing with his smooth talk, this idiot told her that since we are two of us, we can go to the pub if she can get a friend, that is for me! Dumbo... but he was concerned about me!
He gave her his number so that she can call in the evening if she is ready but that call never came. After the breakfast, we started straight to the Aguada Fort. The ride was cool and the fort had nothing much to offer. We were realizing that we are having the real fun on road and not at the destinations. When we reached there, there were only two of us but in a few minutes, a bus load of college gals arrived and the very quite fort till then was not quite any more. We soon started back in spite of so many gals there. The destination now is Tiracol Fort. This is the north most point of Goa. The Fort is on the other side of the Tiracol river on a small piece of land. And only that piece of land on that side of the river is Goa and the rest is Maharashtra. It was some 50 KMs away and we had a very good ride.
It is a strange feeling that I had after being on the road for four days. It wasn't very long but the feeling was strong. Some sense of freedom, adventure, and something else that I don't know. I knew this is what I want to do in life. What a feeble thing the wide screen, dual processor Windows Vista computer with 2GB RAM at my office desk seems to me now after riding the 200 CC bike for 500 KMs.
As we neared the Tiracol river the road ran parallel to the river with several twists and turns. The sun is right on top but the entire road is shadowed by the trees. Finally we reached the ferry. This would be our first ferry. We imagined very grand about it. We were wondering how much do we have to pay for it. And also wishing that the "voyage" should be very long. But the truth is that it is free of cost and the "voyage" will not be very long as the destination is only about 300 meters on the other bank. As for the grandness we imagined, it reminded me about all the vehicles that would be clogged at a railway crossing back in Nellore.
Once again, there was disappointment waiting for us. As we crossed the river and rode to the Tiracol Fort, we realized that it is not a fort anymore. It was transformed into some luxury hotel by the Heritage Group. There was renovation going on so we didn't need a reservation to take a look inside. There is a small chapel inside. The fort is not a big one; I guess it is quite small to be called a fort at all. But if you can afford to stay there, you would have a really great view. The fort is situated in such a way that you can see the river joining the sea and the beach all at the same place.
We did not waste anymore time there among the carpenters, painters and one pretty looking manager! We started back immediately and we were able to catch the ferry back, the same one that brought us to this side. These ferries are available every 30 minutes. That is very convenient I should say. We drove back the same way we came, only now it seemed to be not that long a road! Instead of going all the way to Calangute. We took a different route through Mapusa. We were planning to go to Bicholim and see what the Mayem Lake is.
A little before Mapusa, when we were riding through farms and green fields, we had a crash. Two roads were merging and a car from the adjacent road was taking a U turn right onto us. I was at the controls. The rear brake was no use and I had to use the front disk brake. Anoop did a very sensible thing by jumping off from the bike as it slowed down without making me lose my balance. However, the bike wasn't gonna stop that easily and just as I thought I was gonna hit the car I jumped too. Now the bike fell and stoped just inches before the car. All this time the people in the car were watching it like a movie. They were coming slow so, they were able to stop easily. Nobody was hurt but the bike took a little. The leg guard on the right is bent; apparently it was welded after its previous crash! And the front brake lever is broken into half. Now this is a matter of concern because we just discovered that the rear brake wasn't working at all. The bike was simply slowing down as we released the accelerator. With only half the brake lever to pull on, we had to be more cautious than we were. Especially since we decided to enter Mapusa to see if we can fix the bike. The traffic is like any urban one. We found a mechanic but couldn't find a spare lever anywhere. And also the leg guard had to be welded. We just decided not to waste any time there and go on with the journey and fix it if we find anyone on the way.
I experienced a moment of truth that day. I was a little shaken after the crash. Anoop took the controls. He rode to Mapusa and also upto Thevim where we stopped to eat something. We couldn't find a place to have lunch. We just settled for some tea and leftover breakfast near the Thevim railway station. With the shock from the crash all the excitement about the bike ride seemed to have been fading. The day started to feel hotter eventhough it has been hot all along. I started feeling very tired. I said to Anoop that we should just go to the beach and spend the day resting or something like that. He looked at me for a few seconds. He said we are here for the ride and we would be bored at the beach in no time. He insisted we should go on. He never said it but I know he can see me shaken by the crash. And whatever he said, he said it in such a way that I couldn't say no to him. This guy is a real buddy! And then I was thinking as he was busy munching. I had to tell myself that I should first admit that I was scared after the crash and I am looking for reasons to give up. And I said it. I wanted to come over it. And I suddenly said I will ride the bike from here. He just laughed, still munching! He never said anything but I would never forget that day. That was a real moment of truth. My hands were still shaking as I started the bike. But I rode it, all the way to Bicholim, Mayem Lake, Divar Island upto Old Goa! A day that I really lived.
As we started after the weird lunch we had, we found out that there is welding facility nearby. We went to him and he said he cant help. We asked him why not. He held the leg guard, shook it a little and seperated it from the bike. He put that piece in our hands and said that it needs arc welding and he got only gas welding. We didn't no what to say. We left the place with the iron piece in hand and after a while asked each other why would he had to break it off to explain that it needs arc welding! Pervert!
We reached Bicholim and searched for a welder. I don't remember but I think Anoop was at the controls in Bicholim. After many efforts no one is found. We continued to Mayem Lake. It was quite pleasant. But then it was just another place and the road didn't stop there. We found out that there is a small island on the Mandovi river called Divar Island, about 2 sq. KMs. On the other side of the island is Old Goa. That would be our route with a ferry to get us to Divar Island and then to Old Goa. The road from Mayem Lake was just awesome.
After riding through the Divar Island and ferrying to the other side, we entered Old Goa through an arch constructed by the Portugese and still standing.
It was almost four in the evening and also we were tired by the time we started back to Calangute. Anoop was at the controls all the way back. And also there was no call from the gal at the Blue Note Cafe. Never mind, we headed to a pub that had stag entry. This is a first and I didn't like it very much except that they play almost good music. Anoop did full justice to the tickets we purchased by eating and drinking all that he can for the money we paid. However, we did not booze. We left only after about 30 minutes. We just took a stroll on the beach.
We were tired and also we cannot forget that we are going to leave the next day. The bike ride is over! We sat in the beach and we didn't speak much. We have learnt a new language. It has a road, a bike and the elements. No words, no music. The wind on our faces when we do 80+ on the highway, the sharp turns on the ghat that reveal a new beauty after every bend, and when the road runs parallel to a river it feels like you are racing the water, and when the road runs straight and the bike steady you feel like you are flying, and the freedom you realize when you are not bound by destinations but have all the road you can, and then you know you are living!
My bus was at four in the evening and Anoop's at about seven. We just decided to spend the day at the Baga beach. However, we had to check out by 9:30 in the morning. And when we returned the bike, the guy didn't ask about the lever and we didn't mention it. Lucky us. So we put our bags at the reception and rented a Honda Deo and headed to the Baga beach. We swam and played and swam and played. Not much fun. Not after a 500 KM bike ride. So we wanted to try other things available in the beach. We went parasailing and speedboating. On these we spent more than what we spent on the three days we were there.
... and I did. This time Rajeev and Muttu were also with us. And apart from the bike ride, we also did something that was more adventurous. I will conclude this in the next blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment