Thursday, November 19, 2009

Life is Beautiful!

Today (15th Nov), I happened to visit a rehabilitation center for children in IDA Bolarum run by the Desire Society. I had this opportunity through Aashayein Foundation. There were 45 children there. There were children who were about an year old to about 15 years old. The occasion was breakfast serving. Totally there were ten of us there, some from my own office but I was meeting them for the first time. When we reached there all the children greeted us "Good Morning" with faces as bright as the morning sun! Balu, who is about 2-3 years old, started introducing everyone and Vaishnavi of the same age joined him. She said she has got a little sister and looked to it that we all met her, the cute and shy Chaitrasri.

When the breakfast was being served, Anjali who is about an year old, insisted that she carry her own plate. Although she was only served one idli and half an egg, she managed to eat them for about an hour while another elder girl, about five years old, tried to clean Anjali's running nose. She was so active and smiling all the time. She readily smiled for the camera. Her face was brighter than the day itself! After the breakfast, music was arranged and Janardhan, about eight years old performed as a DJ. Kids danced for some songs with a lot of emotion. We were just amazed to see the expressions that they brought up while dancing. Every kid joined in to clap for the dancers. However there was a power cut after sometime and all the kids came out into the playground. They were quick and pulled us to play shuttle or carroms or help them on the swing! I joined them on the centrifuge kind of thing and became a kid myself. I liked it. However, when I got down the surroundings were still rotating.

Kids were full with energy. Their minds seemed to be unpolluted. They seemed to have the happiest lives. They were like any other child. And they are all HIV Positive. Some children so young, they would never understand what that means. But still, they are all happy. They may not be living with their parents but they got each other. I have seen how one child is caring for the other there. Like I said, unpolluted minds. Looking at them, one would never know that such a terrible truth lies behind those gleaming eyes. I myself couldn't. I felt this is unjust that such sweet children have to suffer this. But then when I think again, are they really suffering?

I do not know when I will die. We also do not know when these kids will die but they will die just like us and unlike for us we already know the cause. So their lives are just as certain as ours. Only difference as I see, they are happy in spite of the truth. Isn't this mysterious life beautiful in it's own way?

You can find the pics here.

No comments: